IE4 Super-Premium Efficiency Induction Motor Design by using ANSYS RMxprt, Optimetric, Maxwell 2-D
Predicting IE4 efficiency in the design stage of a Super-Premium Efficiency Induction motor is a crucial development for the optimal operation considering different application. Designer has to use the tool to exercise reduction in loss to achieve IE4 Super-Premium Efficiency Motor as per IEC 60034-30-1: 2014. Designer must ensure that, motor produces near to flat efficiency in the range of 50, 75 & 100 % load.
The principal challenge is to minimize the losses and to improve the Efficiency, keeping development cost low and ensuring the effectiveness of the design to manufacture in regular production. Designer has to ensure that design performance were validated by experimental testing to confirm the result.
ANSYS RMxprt, Optimetrics Maxwell 2-D.
ANSYS RMxprt analytical tools is used to narrow the design space. By using ANSYS Optimetrics Tool, Parametric & Tuning designs are carried out to decide the optimum geometry. Design exercise can be initiated to decide Stator OD, Stator ID, air gap and so on. The design experimental details are for 112M frame, 3.7 kW, 400 Volts, 4 Pole, Induction Motor. ANSYS Maxwell 2-D was used to perform magnetic analysis to simulate the flux density in the specified geometry to evaluate the product performance.
- The model was created first in RMxprt
- Product Optimization, Sensitivity analyses and Statistical analyses are finalized by using Optimetric tool.
- Based on the Optimetrics tool result, redesign is created in RMxprt.
- From the RMxprt, automatic model creation is used to solve Maxwell 2-D Solution.
- To evaluate the performance, materials are selected from approved IS/IEC Standards.
- IE4 Super-Premium Efficiency Induction Motors offer an opportunity to significantly reduce energy costs and their collateral environmental effects.
- The Return On Investment (ROI) is less than 5.5 Months, when replaced by 3.70 kW IE1 Induction Motor.
- Highest efficiency design available in market.
- Lower temperature.
- Maintained the same frame size to kW ratio as equivalent to IE1 Frame. Hence interchangeability with existing installed motors and the benefit of improved product performance.
- Online starting.
- Can Operate with VFD also.
- High power factor at all loads.
- Higher speed results in more output of the final product from the machine.
- Compressors, Fans, Extruders, Pumps.
- Textile machines, Looms, Spinning frames.
- Cooling Towers.
- Paper machines, Paper coil winders.
ROI Calculation for 3.70 kW, 100 % Load
|1||% Efficiency IE1||82.70|
|2||% Efficiency IE4||90.90|
|3||Selling price in Rs. IE1||9968.00|
|4||Selling price in Rs. IE4||20933.00|
|5||Working hours per year||8760|
|6||Tariff in Rs./kWh||7.00|
|7||Energy consumption by IE1 Motor in kWh||39192|
|8||Energy consumption by IE4 Motor in kWh||35656|
|9||Energy saving per year in kWh||3536|
|10||Cost benefited by Energy saving in Rs.||24752|
|11||Additional cost paid to IE4 Motor in Rs.||10965|
|12||Return on Investment in months Approx.||5.5|
The design work is initiated by the author’s academic interest to demonstrate the tool capability which can be used to manufacture the product in industries.